We’re looking for an exceptional chair person to lead the Strategic Oversight Board of the Zero Carbon Cumbria Partnership (ZCCP).
The ZCCP is the largest initiative of its kind in the country, bringing together a large number and diversity of organisations to plan and deliver Cumbria’s pathway to net zero carbon by 2037. We want a zero carbon Cumbria by 2037 – Can you help us?
Our way of life in Cumbria and beyond is under rapidly increasing threat from the impact of climate change.
We’re seeking someone with a strong sense of purpose and great experience in a high level role, to help lead the combined action that individuals, communities and organisations need to take to reduce Cumbria’s greenhouse gas emissions as quickly and completely as possible. The role is critical to ensuring the Partnership as a whole makes progress.
You will be familiar with working in partnership and able to build strong relationships with diverse interests. You’ll enjoy the challenge of consensus building and will be inspired to ensure the interests of young people and rural communities in particular are heard and met. You will walk the talk by having taken action on climate change in a personal and/or professional capacity.
The voluntary role brings the opportunity to lead, network and collaborate with key stakeholders in Cumbria and beyond and to make a vital and positive difference to the lives of Cumbria’s residents and visitors.
Approach and ways of working
- The Chair should develop good working relationships with elected members but remain apolitical.
- The Chair should work closely with the Co-chairs of the ZCCP and the Partnership Manager, staying informed of wider partnership matters and ensuring there is an effective two-way flow of information between the SOB and ZCCP.
- The focus of the Chair’s role is to ensure the strategic effectiveness of ZCCPs activities through leadership of the SOB.
- The Chair should stay well informed of the work of the Zero Carbon Lottery funded projects but is not directly involved in the operational work of the programmes.
- The Chair should make connections with leaders of key organisations that can support the drive to net zero by 2037.
- The SOB will aim to review ZCCP’s operations and performance annually.
- An experienced chairperson at a senior level.
- A good understanding and strong commitment to addressing climate change and delivering net zero.
- An excellent networker.
- Able to communicate with and engage a wide range of people and organisations.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Well organised with the ability to balance a range of priorities and deadlines.
- Highly motivated.
- Able to operate apolitically.
- Have the time to work flexibly to meet the needs of the role.
- Quick to respond and follow up or take action.
- Appreciation and understanding of working with diverse perspectives.
- A recognised leader in addressing climate change.
- Knowledgeable about Cumbria’s environment, society and economy.
- A broad personal network throughout the communities, organisations and businesses of Cumbria.
- Experience of collaborating with and/or influencing UK government and other national or regional institutions or partnerships.
Role profile: Chair, Strategic Oversight Board, Zero Carbon Cumbria Partnership (ZCCP)
Location: Preferably based in Cumbria
Start date: January 2024
Time commitment: Varies from a few hours a week to a day, usually during work hours, usually online and occasionally in the evening. Initial term will be two years, subject to a 12 month review by the Board.
Application: To apply, please submit your cv and a covering letter which outlines why you are interested in the role and what you would bring to it to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 9am on Wednesday 30 November.
Interviews: Interview date TBC, preferably in person but online is also an option.
For an informal conversation about the role, please contact Karen Mitchell, Co-chair of the ZCCP, firstname.lastname@example.org, 01768 593279 | David F Murphy, Co-chair of the ZCCP email@example.com or Tim Gale, ZCCP Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the details here: SOB-Chair-Role-Description